Variant subtag request: iso91995

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 16:54:40 CEST 2010

On 09/19/2010 05:05 PM, Avram Lyon wrote:
> 2010/9/19 Yury Tarasievich<yury.tarasievich at gmail.com>:
>> What about the general scheme in which one combines the language prefix
>> (e.g., ru-) and the translit/romanisation subtags (-).
> I don't recall, however, what tables A and B represent in the ISO
> 9:1995 standard-- I had read the standard at some point last year, but
> I don't have it on hand. If they are significant, then I'll change my
> subtag request accordingly. Can you elaborate on them?

Essentially, those are two codified mappings of
the ISO 9:

- one (Table A) strives to be universal and
provides 1:1 mapping for all glyphs of
Cyrillic-using languages; consequently it uses
lots of "unusual" (e.g., rarely included in
popular fonts) diacritics; I do not vouch for
the *completeness* of the set *being mapped*,
though;

- another (Table B) takes into consideration the
phonologies of languages and uses the reduced
set of target Latin glyphs; mappings are
specific for each language; e.g., Belarusian Г
is H, however Russian Г is G.

Can't answer more specifically without ISO copy
at hand.

BTW, provisions of ISO 9 were introduced into
inter-state GOST series 7 (bibliographical
information).

-Yury