Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 10:17:23 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2010, at 05:27, Peter Constable wrote:
>
>> Or perhaps one subtag (but not "pre1917") that denotes any orthography from the period 1708 - 1917.
>
> I would rather see a subtag pegged to an authoritative dictionary or similar source; if further precision is required, other dictionaries for other milestones can be used.

I think a dictionary is the wrong degree of precision, if what you
want to capture is the absence or presence of certain characters. If I
wanted to tag 26-character, no long-s English, that obviously can't be
en-OED. So an en-webster that's a superset of en-OED and permits
colour?

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.