Reminder: Ulster Scots

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 16:55:47 CEST 2010

2006ulst seems not a bad compromise to me.  It's not too opaque;
anyone involved in the Scots language would soon know what it
refered to.  It captures some of the idea of this being a standard
designed for Ulster Scots without trespssing on the broad
territory of a possible "ulster" subtag.

"robinson" might be better if we knew that this was to be only
the first of a series of minor "improvements" led by Philip
Robinson himself, but we don't.

"boordus" might be better if we knew that there was going to be
a continuous development of the standard sponsored by the
"Boord o Ulstèr Scots" (http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/),
but we don't.

As I say though, I am not involved in Scots language work.
cc-ing this to someone who might be better able to comment.

Caoimhín