Montenegrin

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Jun 16 21:46:46 CEST 2010

Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:
> John Cowan, Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:32:56 -0400:
> > Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:
>
> >> So, there we can identify a proposal for 'sh': Add 'Neo-Shtokavian'
> >> as a name synonymous with Serbo-Croatian.
> >
> > That would be tantamount to narrowing the semantic scope of a subtag,
> > which we are not allowed to do.
>
> If 'sr' covers Stokavian and Torlakian - and according to Etnologue, it
> does - the 'sh' must also cover those - as well as the dialects covered
> by 'bs' and 'hr'.

Ethnologue lists Shtokavian as a dialect of both Serbian and Croatian.

> So, in other words, 'de' covers German dialects as
> well. I've earlier understood that it only covered standard German.

Ethnologue labels it "Standard German", though ISO 639-3 uses only
"German".  Ethnologue also specifically notes that its treatment of
German dialects is incomplete.

> Here you both associated sr/hr/bs with the respective "standard forms"
> of each.

That seems a plausible heuristic.

> This made it sound as if you both agreed to "dump" everything that did
> not fit into the standard forms (represented by , in the 'sh' bag.

Another plausible heuristic.

> You both also seemed to favor that Montenegring got its own primary
> subtag. You said that 'sh' could not be narrowed. Then I assume 'sr'
> cannot be narrowed. 'sr' currently appears to covers Serbian and
> Serbian dialects, including dialects forms only found in Montenegro.

So be it.  Precise consistency in these matters is not to be expected.

John Cowan    http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan at ccil.org
The Penguin shall hunt and devour all that is crufty, gnarly and
bogacious; all code which wriggles like spaghetti, or is infested with
blighting creatures, or is bound by grave and perilous Licences shall it
capture.  And in capturing shall it replicate, and in replicating shall
it document, and in documentation shall it bring freedom, serenity and
most cool froodiness to the earth and all who code therein.  --Gospel of Tux