Variant subtag proposals for Romansh

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Jun 13 18:39:32 CEST 2010

Philip Newton <philip dot newton at gmail dot com> wrote:

> This email message includes several registration forms, all dealing with Romansh; I hope this is acceptable. If not, I'll re-submit them as separate messages.

The submission is fine, and in principle I don't have any problem with any of these.  In particular, both the research and the attention to detail in filling out the forms look great.

> I would like to add a "Suppress-Script: Latn" field to the existing language subtag

Technically, there should be no problem with this.  Suppress-Script is intended to discourage people from writing (or searching for) "xx-Yyyy" and having pre-RFC 4646 systems not match it with plain "xx", in cases where the subtag 'xx' has widespread legacy use and there is a reasonable likelihood that people might actually do this.

While this may be the case for Romansh, it is never required to register the Suppress-Script, and registering it for Romansh should not be seen as a precedent to request registration of Suppress-Script for dozens of other language subtags.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s