Montenegrin

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 09:20:42 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 17:12, CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What Milos seems to be saying is that, in the case that the written versions
> of the language are being specified, the country/regional codes do not add
> information to the sr or hr subtags.
> Is this correct?

Yes.

> If a language subtag is not approved (and I am unsure at this point what I
> think -- though I do not disapprove of one -- as there are three supposedly
> different characters with different pronunciations),
> then an alternate name for Serbian and the tag sr-ME -- as suggested --
> would be o.k. for me too.

Formally, this can work, as "Serbian written according to standards of
Montenegro" doesn't exist. Actually, to be strict, it exists, but
there are just *three* different words (I remember two words of thre:
"sjutra" instead of "sutra" [=tomorrow] and "medjed" instead of
"medvjed" [=bear]) from the standard Serbian Iyekavian; but three
words don't create a separate standard. This is opposite to
Montenegrin standard, which has three different phonemes and probably
hundreds of differently spelled and pronounced words.

But, it would be much better to have a separate code.