Montenegrin

Leif Halvard Silli xn--mlform-iua at xn--mlform-iua.no
Sat Jun 12 11:28:56 CEST 2010

Doug Ewell, Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:13:07 -0600:
> Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail dot com> wrote:
>
>>> Option 1: Montenegrin continues to be represented by sr-ME.
>>
>> This option is not good as there are speakers of standard Serbian
>> language in Montenegro. So, sr-ME should mean "Serbian spoken in
>> Montenegro" as sr-Ba means "Serbian spoken in Bosnia and
>> Herzegovina".
>
> Region subtags in BCP 47 identify the language variation typically
> identified with that country or region, not the country in which the
> speaker happens to be physically located.  A person who speaks the
> Serbian-standard dialect is speaking "sr-RS" regardless of whether he
> or she lives in Serbia, Montenegro, or Bhutan.

To which Milos Rancic, Sat, 12 Jun 2010 04:40:52 +0200 replied:
> In relation to the written language, there are no national differences
> between variants of Serbian language.

  [ snip to Milos' conclusion about the written language: ]

> In other words, if it is so, then sr-BA and sr-ME, as well as hr-BA
> and hr-ME, don't exist.
>
> At the *spoken* level, there are dialect differences, but written
> language is always the same. Besides that, there are no spoken
> differences between Serbian and Montenegrin in, let's say, Podgorica.

Doug: So, I am not sure there is any difference between you and Milos
here. The way I perceived Milos, he emphasized that he talked about the
spoken language. (Though I am also going to ask Milos a question - see
below.)

Milos: So, when you said 'So, sr-ME should mean "Serbian spoken in
Montenegro"', you meant 'So, sr-ME should mean "a Montenegrin dialect
of the Serbian Language"'?
--
leif halvard silli