ISO 639-3 changes, part ? (Was ISO 639-3 changes, part 1)

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:49:26 CET 2010

Hi, Doug, thanks very much for accepting my offer.

I'd be happy to help.  Anyone has time to reply can answer my questions about the "Deprecated," "Preferred-value", "Comments," and "Any other relevant information" fields (below, followed by an example subtag).

(If I hear nothing back I'll assume I've got it right and will just go on.)

First, the "Any other relevant information" field:

For your first registration record, Doug wrote:

   "This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
   2010-01-20, adding the code element 'shd' for Kundal Shahi."

whereas I should write:
=>  ??

   "This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
   2010-01-20, retiring{/deprecating} the code element 'drh' for Darkhat {in favor of 'khk'}."

Correct?  (The informattion in brackets is for an alternative version, if you prefer that; otherwise I will omit it and use the word 'retiring'.)

Also I assume I need "Added," "Deprecated, and "Preferred-value" fields in the registration form as these are relevant.
(And maybe a "Comments" field (as for 'heploc')?? Or no maybe not?)

Finally, for the subtag, 'lut'

("Existing languages in this subgroup
of Salish languages are
Southern Puget Sound Salish
[slh], Skagit [ska], and
Snohomish [sno]")--

what is the 'Preferred-value'?
I assume I should just leave it blank.  Let me know if otherwise.

My example is below; I will email all sometime tomorrow
(with the fields as I have them except for the comments which I will not have
and without the text in brackets and with the 'Preferred-value' field for 'lut' empty--unless I hear otherwise;
but I think the requestor is still Doug Ewell or Michael Everson--I assume I am just copying clerical data the same way Doug copied and revised the 'heploc' deprecation request record but left the requestor as "Frank Bennett").

-----

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2010-03-01
%%
Type: language
Subtag: drh
Added: 2009-07-29
Deprecated: 2010-03-01
Preferred-Value: khk

%%

---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: Doug Ewell  ???
2. E-mail address of requester: doug at ewellic.org ???
3. Record Requested:

   Type: language
   Subtag: drh
   Added: 2009-07-29
   Deprecated: 2010-03-01
   Preferred-Value: khk
{   Comments:  This variant subtag has been merged with the subtag 'khk'. }

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

5. Reference to published description
   of the language (book or article):

6. Any other relevant information:

   This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
   2010-01-20, retiring{/deprecating} the code element 'drh' for Darkhat {?in favor of 'khk'}.

   For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
   http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf

* * *

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com