Changing definition of German (was: Re: ISO 639-3 releases list of 2009 changes)

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Sun Jan 24 00:47:14 CET 2010

Den 2010-01-24 00.34, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>:

> Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, a language code can be reclassified to be a
>> collection code at any time as well. This has already happened for
>> "chs", Chumash (languages). (The receiving RA seems slow at adopting
>> this though...)
>
> 'chs' was retired from ISO 639-3 as a decades-old error.  I haven't seen
> any evidence that 639-2 or 639-5 intends, or was requested, to pick this
> up as a collection.

ISO 639-3 isn't decades-old yet...

See
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2008_Sum&Add.pdf

In the introductory "Summary of requested changes" it says:

"1 retirement of a code element representing a language family whose
constituents were already present in code set. This code element will
be recommended for inclusion in ISO 639-5."

I don't know if a request was actually sent to the ISO 639-2/639-5 RA.
The requests to that RA do not seem to be publicly recorded (as opposed
to the formal requests to the 639-3 RA).

    /kent k