Indonesian and extlang...

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Jan 2 02:43:39 CET 2010

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> This error was exposed beginning in draft-4645bis-09, after ISO 639-3
>> added 21 more languages (including Indonesian and Minangkabau) to the
>> three already encompassed under the macrolanguage 'msa'.
>
> I would have regarded not including it as a bug, in addition to the
> id/ind one.

Not if you believe that the process outlined in RFC 5645 was the result
of WG consensus.

> In the long run (this is not a request for considering this now) I
> think all the "extlang" records should be formally deprecated; they
> are semi-deprecated now by having preferred-values.

Giving the extlangs Preferred-Values while not deprecating them was a
crucial part of the Great Compromise between supporters and opponents of
extlangs.  It is an architectural decision, and if you wish to revisit
it, it should be in an LTRU 3.0 rather than this list.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­