Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Leif Halvard Silli xn--mlform-iua at xn--mlform-iua.no
Fri Jan 1 18:25:18 CET 2010

Leif Halvard Silli, Fri, 1 Jan 2010 18:12:16 +0100:
> Thorgeir Holm thorgeirholm at yahoo.no wrote:
>> Sat Dec 26 22:44:40 CET 2009

>> Norwegian
>>
>> <hermer Doug Ewell frå 26.12.2009 17:03>
>>
>>> I would just like to confirm that 'nn' is the only desired Prefix for
>>> this subtag.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure about that one. Maybe someone would claim that
>> 'hognorsk' is so unlike ordinary 'nn' that it would be better to use it
>> with the macrolanguage subtag 'no' (although 'hognorsk' must no doubt
>> belong to 'nn' and not 'nb' if these two split all variation of 'no'
>> between themselves).
>
> Thorgeir informed my about this request today.
>
> As another Høgnorsk adherer, I would like to ask that _both_ 'nn' and
> 'no' are registered as desired prefixes. I cannot understand how
> anything else is possible. Both 'nn' and 'no' are equally good for
> Norwegian Nynorsk. Thus, considering that 'hognorsk' represents a
> subclass of Nynorsk, both 'nn' and 'no' should be permitted as its
> prefix.
>
> 'nn' is more precise, but so is 'nb' - for Norwegian Bokmål. If we
> limit 'hognorsk' to 'nn', then we support the tendency to align 'no' as
> a synonym of 'nb' and vice versa. Such an idea is opposed to the
> aspiration of Nynorsk to be the Norwegian language. And this aspiration
> is not less strong in the Høgnorsk variant of Nynorsk than in the
> official variant of Nynorsk, on the contrary. Høgnorsk is just as much
> a subclass of Norwegian as of Nynorsk. This goes back to my viewpoints
> about Macrolanguages in general in the LTRU mailing list.
>
> Hence, both as a Høgnorsk adherer and in general, I find it difficult
> to support this registration unless both 'no' and 'nn' are recorded as
> desired prefixes.

Further more: When 'hogorsk' becomes a tag, then it would not surprise
me if the conservative Bokmål adherants - the socalled Riksmål group -
would be interested in registering - let's say 'riksmal' as a variant
tag. And I have little doubt in my mind that they would like to see
both 'no' and 'nb' as desired prefixes.
--
Leif Halvard Silli