Last call: Latvian (and Bontok) extlang subtags

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 12 13:34:17 CET 2010

> Thanks for the meta-blather, Caoimhín. But have you an opinion on the
> matter in hand?

Yes, sorry about the meta-blather which might have been more suited
to LTRU.

Its only relevance to the matter in hand is that it would tend me
me against blanket creation of extended language tags, and against
an extended language tag for Bontoc.

But for Latvian I would leave it to people more expert than myself
to decide whether an extended language tag would be useful or not.

The changes in coding systems do affect me.  Last night I recoded
the Latvian dictionaries in my "Multidict" database from "lv" to
"lvs".  And my Wordlink examples page:
   http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/wordlink/examples.html
now has:
   http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/wordlink/?sl=lvs&url=http://lv.wikipedia.org/
with "lvs" internally but "lv" for Wikipedia.  But extended language
tags don't help me personally with my applications.

Caoimhín