Last call: Latvian (and Bontok) extlang subtags

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Feb 8 14:39:43 CET 2010

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> Correction: There are five Bontok languages, not three, encompassed
>> by the newly reclassified Bontok macrolanguage:
>>
>> rbk - Northern Bontok
>> lbk - Central Bontok
>> vbk - Southwestern Bontok
>> obk - Southern Bontok
>> ebk - Eastern Bontok
>>
>> I missed the last two because they were on a different page of the
>> 639-3 report, and referenced by a different change request number.
>
> So your proposal is to ignore some macrolanguage subtags but not
> others?

That message had nothing to do with extlangs directly.  I made a mistake
in saying there were only 3 languages encompassed under Bontok.  The
fact that there are 5, not 3, could conceivably weigh on the decision
whether to make them extlangs, although it shouldn't.

Regarding the extlang question, my proposal is indeed to assign extlangs
when their macrolanguage meets the criterion I mentioned earlier -- the
macrolanguage subtag has been widely used to denote a single dominant
language within the group -- and not assign them when it does not.  I
wouldn't have used the word "ignore" but I suppose one could.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­