Last call: Latvian (and Bontok) extlang subtags

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Feb 7 21:05:32 CET 2010

On January 30 I wrote:

> We do need to reach a final decision about whether to create extended
> language subtags for Standard Latvian and Latgalian; in other words,
> whether to add "Latvian" to the subset of macrolanguages which have
> extlangs.  So far only a few of us have made our preferences known.

No discussion about this has taken place on-list since that time.

I would like to ask the Reviewer to make a final decision on the
following two questions:

(1) Whether two new extended language subtags shall be created for
Latgalian ("lv-ltg") and Standard Latvian ("lv-lvs"), which are new ISO
639-3 code elements encompassed by Latvian ('lav'), recently
reclassified as a macrolanguage, and

(2) Whether three new extended language subtags shall be created for
Northern Bontok ("bnc-rbk"), Central Bontok ("bnc-lbk"), and
Southwestern Bontok ("bnc-vbk"), which are new ISO 639-3 code elements
encompassed by Bontok ('bnc'), recently reclassified as a macrolanguage
and renamed from "Central Bontoc."

Arguments have been presented on-list, both pro and con, for question
(1) since January 22, and off-and-on before then.  We have hardly
mentioned question (2) at all and I suspect the answer will be "no," but
I raise it here for completeness and consistency.

I will submit all the proposed records and registration forms for the
Latvian and Bontok languages once I have heard a response from the
Reviewer.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­