ISO 639-3 changes, part 2

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Mon Feb 1 19:52:27 CET 2010

See comments below.

    /kent k

Den 2010-02-01 18.17, skrev "CE Whitehead" <cewcathar at hotmail.com>:

> Re: ISO 639-3 changes, part 2 ?

(I don't like your over-use of question marks... It's bad style even for an
email.)

> Hi, I hope these records will all be o.k.  (As far as I know I am not going to
> be online this afternoon from 3 till after 9
> because of another commitment.  But I'll be on after 9 and/or tomorrow; I'd be
> on a tiny bit more if I trusted wireless . . . )
> (Let me know when you all are ready for 'Lushootseed'--4th from bottom--and I
> will send these again without the brackets around that registration entry; not
> sure why Doug wanted me to hold off; I'll also put the right part # in the
> subject heading--maybe these are part 2???)

(I don't like your over-use of question marks... It's bad style even for an
email.)

> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: drh
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: khk
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: drh
>    Preferred-Value: khk
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01

Please give the fields (lines) in the same order; just be be consistent.
Pick the order of fields used in the registry. It does not formally matter,
but it makes it easier to proof-read.

>    Comments:
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'drh', for Darkhat.

I think the information that "Merge[d] with Halh Mongolian [khk]"
(from the RA's "change request summary") should be picked up here.

>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: tnf
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: prs
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: tnf
>    Preferred-Value: prs
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>    Comments:
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'tnf', for Tangshewi.

As above, say something about the merge here. ("merge[d] with [prs]
Dari"...)

>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: drw
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: prs
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: drw
>    Preferred-Value: prs
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>    Comments:
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'drw', for Darwazi.

As above, say something about the merge here. ("merge[d] with [prs]
Dari"...)

>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: btb

This is for "Beti (Cameroon)", not to be confused with "Beti (Côte
d'Ivoire)".

> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01

I'm not so sure this one should be plainly "deprecated". Since "btb",
Beti (Cameroon) [languages], has been determined to be a "group"/collection,
"btb" should be regarded as a "collective code". Here I find it troublesome
that 639-5 registrations are handled by a different RA, which in addition
seems unresponsive to changes of this kind.

> Preferred-Value:

There should be no preferred-value line here. This, and the comments above,
applies also to the "registration form" just below.

> Comments: see beb, bum, bxp, eto, ewo, fan, mct
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: btb
>    Preferred-Value:
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>    Comments: see beb, bum, bxp, eto, ewo, fan, mct
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'btb', for Beti.
>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: cmk
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: xch
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: cmk
>    Preferred-Value: xch
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>    Comments:
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'cmk', for Chimakum.

The following should be picked up from the "change request summary":
"Duplicate of [xch]"; or better formulated "This code is a duplicate for
[xch], Chemakum". (Personally, I think they should have picked the other
code to deprecate, but oh well...)

>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: cjr
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: mom
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: cjr
>    Preferred-Value: mom
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>    Comments:
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'cjr', for Chorotega.

Again, some reformulation (for better flow) of "Merge[d] with [mom]"
(Monimbo) should be included here.

>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> { Below is the subtag you asked me to wait before doing; it's here
> but if there's a glitch . . . I'll send this again when it's fixed }
> { -----

I don't like your over-use of parentheticals in your emails...

> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: lut
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01

Again, I'm not so sure this one should be plainly "deprecated". Since "lut",
Lushootseed, has been determined to be a "group"/collection, "lut" should
be regarded as a "collective code".

> Preferred-Value:

There should be no preferred-value line here. This, and the comments above,
applies also to the "registration form" just below.

> Comments:  see ska, slh, sno
>
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: lut
>    Preferred-Value:
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>    Comments:  see ska, slh, sno
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'lut', for Lushootseed.
>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
> }
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: gav
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: dev
>
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: gav
>    Preferred-Value: dev
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'gav', for Gabutamon.

Include the info "Merge[d] into/with [dev] Domung". (But use a common
phrasing for all of the merges.)

>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: mst
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: mry
>
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: mst
>    Preferred-Value: mry
>    Deprecated: 2010-03-01
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> 5. Reference to published description
>    of the language (book or article):
> 6. Any other relevant information:
>
>    This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, retiring the code element, 'mst', for Cataelano Mandaya.

Include the info "merged with Mandaya [mry]" here.

>    For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to
>    http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2009_Summary.pdf
>
> -----
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2010-03-01
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: mrt

-> 'myt'. 'mrt' is for "Marghi Central", ("Central Marghi"...)

> Added: 2009-07-29
> Deprecated: 2010-03-01
> Preferred-Value: mry
>
> %%
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester: C. E. Whitehead
> 2. E-mail address of requester: cewcathar at hotmail.com
> 3. Record Requested:
>    Type: language
>    Subtag: mrt

-> 'myt'. 'mrt' is for "Marghi Central", or rather "Central Marghi"; somehow
"Marghi Central" and "Marghi South" did not get their names uninverted.