New region subtags coming

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Dec 17 17:26:53 CET 2010

ISO 3166/MA has introduced three new country code elements reflecting
recent world events:

BQ  Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba
CW  Curaçao
SX  Sint Maarten (Dutch part)

I will post registration forms and proposed records for these shortly.
Note that the spellings in ISO 3166-1 are being followed here: "Sint
Maarten" but "Saint" Eustatius.  The notation "(Dutch part)" is also
part of the ISO 3166-1 name.

In addition, ISO 3166/MA has withdrawn the code element AN for
Netherlands Antilles, the entity that was dissolved to form the new
entities represented by BQ, CW, and SX.  Do we want to deprecate AN in
the Registry?  It would have no Preferred-Value, since there is no
single indisputable successor state (similar to CS, NT, SU, and YU).

IMHO this is a different question from the one I raised in March about
deprecating AC (Ascension Island) and TA (Tristan da Cunha) when the
Description for SH was broadened from "Saint Helena" to "Saint Helena,
Ascension and Tristan da Cunha."  In the present case, ISO 3166/MA is
actually withdrawing AN and all of the "replacement" code elements are
assigned in 3166, not just exceptionally reserved.

Regardless of whether AN is deprecated, I do think we should add a
Comments field along the lines of "see BQ, CW, and SX" similar to what
was done for CS, GB, YU, 003, and 021.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­