Language / Locale identifiers

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Sun Dec 12 20:19:37 CET 2010

Den 2010-12-12 19:28, skrev "Peter Constable" <petercon at microsoft.com>:

>> I don't recommend that people start tagging their Web pages
>> with time zone or collation-strength information.
>
> Indeed, no!

I wouldn't be so categorical. Some web pages allow for (re)sorting
functionality (see for instance the tables in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639). Given a page in German (say),
(re)sorting a column may depend on using either de (with default
German collation) or de-u-co-phonebk (with a collation order
adapted for "phonebook" use, e.g. a list of names).

Or a calendar web application with meeting appointments; "times
given in your timezone, as set in your preferences"; en-u-tz-sesto...

Such settings may well be expected to work (i.e. have the intended
effect on sorting and time zone conversion; whether the sorting or tz
conversion is done on the server or on the client) in a not too distant
future. (But I have no insider information...)

    /Kent K