Occitan oddity

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Aug 8 22:21:41 CEST 2010

Mark Davis 🍹 <mark at macchiato dot com> wrote:

> I didn't get an exact match against Occitan. When I looked at the
> registry, it has the somewhat odd formulation:
> I thought I'd float this out, before filling out a form.

Let me guess, this is another attempt to make the Registry fit CLDR.

The Registry uses names from the core standards as Description fields
whenever possible, with only the most trivial of modifications, like
converting apostrophes and dashes.  The Reviewer and list reserve, but
almost never exercise, the right to add other Description fields on top
of these.

Some people on LTRU were very adamant that the exact ISO names be used,
without even typographical changes.  I guess I assumed that debate was
as fresh in other participants' minds as it was in mine.

"Interlingua" won't match "Interlingua (International Auxiliary Language
Association)" either.  "Malay" won't match either "Malay (individual
language)" or "Malay (macrolanguage)".  Exact matching by Description
field isn't ever going to meet everyone's needs all the time; that's
probably why we use short codes in the first place.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­