Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 81, Issue 40

Frank Bennett biercenator at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 22:04:33 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 4:39 AM, Mark Crispin <mrc+ietf at panda.com> wrote:
> Thanks Frank for your comments.
>
> Given what you said, I agree that it probably does not make sense to both
> with registering Nihon-shiki.  The final concern that I have is this:
>
> Would your application be adversely impacted if it turned out that the
> ultimate usage of the Hepburn tag became "something that is more or less
> Hepburn" (with all of the variants therefore) and of the kunrei-shiki tag
> became "something that is more or less kunrei-shiki" (with all of the
> variants such as JSL, Nihon-shiki, etc.)?
>
> My prediction is that if you expect the Hepburn tag to be used only for
> strictly compliant Hepburn (as defined by Hepburn) and the kunrei-shiki tag
> to be used only for strictly compliant ISO 3602, you will be disappointed.

For Hepburn, I believe that's covered by the additional registration
of ja-Latn-hepburn-heploc.

If you feel there is a similar problem of fuzziness over kunrei as
well, then a similar two-tier registration could be used there, I
guess.  In that case, as you say, "kunrei" may not even be the best
top-level subtag for that category of variants, and the sorting out of
that corner of the mess should perhaps best be left to another day.