Proposed records and registration forms for Japanese variants

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Sep 17 14:48:36 CEST 2009

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

> Apparently ISO 3602 defines two transcriptions, so for kunrei this is
> not specific enough.
>
> For nihon, there is no standard called ISO 3602 Strict. ISO 3602 may
> define a "strict" transcription, but saying "in ISO 3602 Strict" is an
> improper reference.

Apparently the terms "ISO 3602" and "ISO 3602 Strict" do appear to be
well understood.  Unfortunately, a Google search turns up the Wikipedia
pages, a number of sites where I can order a copy of the standard, and a
ton of pages from the knockoff sites that simply parrot Wikipedia's
content, change the layout, and add advertising.  Lots of hits no longer
translates to lots of information.

> Since I don't have a copy of ISO 3602, I'm not sure what the best
> resolution would be, but something in the line of
>
> "... as defined by the non-strict transcription method of ISO 3602"
> and
> "... as defined by the strict transcription method of ISO 3602"

I hope someone with access to an actual copy of ISO 3602 will come
forth.  ISO wants USD 48 for it.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s