Machine Translation

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 19:55:51 CEST 2009

Hi All

I am just trying to catch up on all this following a family bereavement...

It may be a few days before I have an opportunity to read through all the
traffic.  Rest assured, I will be feeding this back to colleagues.  However,
in the meantime, I am very interested in comments from individuals who have
knowledge of or build/supply machine translation applications.  Would the
use case defined be better served by some sort of partial generic MT
generated tagging e.g. by using the <Author/> tag for the MT (perhaps
<Author>MT_ApplicationName<Author/>) with the MT aspect being a generic part
of the tag coupled with such tags as <SourceLang/> etc. ? This would almost
certainly solve the problem of corpus building from web text.

With regard to a variation or extension... As Editor of ISO 639-6, I would
consider a tag for WelshWrittenLatnMT as I think it could be classed as a
Linguistic Register.  Although, I would generally associate register with
spoken discourse I think there could be sufficient ambiguity within the term
(purportedly invented in 1956) to allow for a written, non-human aspect.
Nevertheless, that doesn't mean to say that this would be the best way to
progress matters.

Try not to clobber me for my thoughts as they are a little awry at the
moment!

Best regards

Debbie