Machine Translation

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Sep 11 19:30:26 CEST 2009

Yes, and as technical terms used in the industry, *dictionary lookup* is
very strongly distinguished from *machine translation*. Machine translation
take whole texts, has to handle grammar, and produces whole replacement
texts. Dictionary lookup does none of those things.

In a certain sense, I can see what Michel is saying; that the variants
indicate a result, and not a methodology used to produce that result. So
either sr-mactrans or sr-m-footrans would in practice just mean "badly
written Serbian", nothing more.

I agree with Peter that unless we have some concrete use cases -- and for
that matter, someone who would be actively using a mechanism -- the whole
discussion is pointless. I don't forsee Google, for example, distinguishing
MT text via a language tag either with a variant or with an extension.

Mark