Machine Translation

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 11 16:56:15 CEST 2009

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

>> You're confusing the roles of Reviewer and individual contributor to
>> this list. As an individual contributor, you may have opinions and
>> arguments as to potentially valuable usage scenarios for the proposed
>> tag -- or the lack thereof -- but as individual contributor you should
>> not be making unilateral decisions as to what the outcome will be.

> "I foresee little likelihood" means just that. It is not "I promise to reject". Now I
> have said this TWICE to you, and you have come back with the same response.
>
> I did not make a decision. I expressed an opinion. You are way out of line putting
> words into my mouth.

Expression an opinion on the merits of a proposal is something you do in the capacity of an contributing expert, like the rest of us. Making comments on the outcome of discussion, whether final or not, is something you do in the capacity of Reviewer. It is premature in this discussion to be doing the latter, and even if "I foresee little likelihood" is not a decision it can stifle discussion and it suggests that you are prepared to act on your own opinion without hearing what other experts have to say. Had you said something like "I'm not inclined to support this," or, "I'm not in favour of this," then that would have sounded like an individual opinion. The statement "I foresee little likelihood of my approving such a tag" comes across very differently.

Peter