Korean romanizations (Was: Japanese transliteration: ja-Latn-hepburn)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Sep 11 05:04:10 CEST 2009

Mark Davis ? <mark at macchiato dot com> wrote:

> Often the request is too narrow. I could request a subtag for
> en-US-socapgfr, which is for that variant of English spoken by people
> who were raised in Southern California, but moved out before the Great
> Freeway Renaming. Ken Whistler and I happen to share this variant --
> we speak like Southern Californians (with the pen/pin and
> father/bother merges, etc), but don't use the distinctive pattern "the
> 101" to refer to freeways that arose in the south after we both left.

BTW, not all who speak proper "Southern Californian English" have the
pin/pen merger, though all that I know of have the father/bother merger.

I did manage to unlearn the freeway lingo, but only regionally.  So out
here it's "I-25" and "I-70," but back in Orange County it's still "the
5" and "the 57."

> If we really tried to register every variant down to the specific
> variant that *someone, somewhere, *might* want*, that would take a
> huge amount of effort, just for American English. Multiply that by all
> the possible languages there are, and by all the linguists who would
> analyse variants in different ways, and you end up with a
> mind-boggling number of variants -- far, far beyond the ability of
> this group to handle.

Geez, all I had in mind for Korean was registering the three most common
romanizations, which anyone familiar with Korean could name off the top
of their head.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s