Machine Translation

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 10 17:50:06 CEST 2009

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Doug Ewell

> John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:
>
>> I think this is a good use case for a BCP 47 extension; translation
>> source information is closely associated with BCP 47 language tags,
>> such that it would make sense to pack them into a single string, yet
>> distinct enough from the language/origin/variant model to not fit into
>> it well.
>
> Good points all.

But what are the use scenarios? If the key scenarios are simply providing an indicator to processes that might want to filter out MT content, then an extension with all its additional machinery is overkill; a single subtag "machxlat" is certainly sufficient.

This is why I'd like to hear what the intended usage scenarios are-regardless of whether variant subtags or extensions are what people have in mind.

Peter