Machine Translation

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Sep 10 16:52:51 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:07:17AM +0900,
 Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote
 a message of 105 lines which said:

> Spelling checkers are a lot easier to create than translation
> engines, and have much higher quality. There's definitely some
> content out on the Web with bad grammar, bad spelling, and so on,
> but it's not that bad,

I disagree. In many online fora, you find text that is technically
french but which is so mangled, so badly written and so full of SMS
abbreviations that it is barely redable.

> it can be just taken as part of human linguistic reality.

Yes, although I still wonder if it is the future of my language :-)