Korean romanizations (Was: Japanese transliteration: ja-Latn-hepburn)

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 10 08:17:48 CEST 2009

Hi -

Let's wait until someone identifies a need and files a request.   Korean
romanization (not even worrying about cyrillization) appears to be just
as messy a situation as we've seen with Japanese.  Registrations should
be driven by actual user needs, not the universe of theoretical possibilities,
particularly for something with as many sub-varieties as some of these
appear to have.  I'm particularly concerned about the possibility of
undesirable results from following a "guideline" from what happens
to work for one family of Japanese Romanzations.  The decision to
register a broad or narrow definition of a particular variant should be
based on the registrant's needs, not some "guideline" that this group
has derived from the situation of an orthographic variant of some
other language.

Randy