Japanese transliteration: ja-Latn-hepburn

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Sep 9 16:00:49 CEST 2009

I wrote:

> "zh-Latn-pinyin" explicitly means Chinese in Hanyu Pinyin, according
> to the registration form at
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/pinyin, while
> currently there is no way to tag Tongyong Pinyin.

First, of course there is a way to tag it ("zh-Latn"), but there is no
way to indicate it explicitly.

Second, yes, I realize this contradicts what I wrote on September 3.  I
looked at the registration form this time, and scanned the e-mails
leading up to the decision to register.  And yes, I realize that whether
Tongyong is or isn't included in 'pinyin', it isn't crystal clear from
the Registry record.  Perhaps even I would agree that a Comments field
would be helpful here.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s