Variant request: Japanese modified Hepburn

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Sep 1 09:45:54 CEST 2009

On 1 Sep 2009, at 08:19, John Cowan wrote:

> Michael Everson scripsit:
>
>> Since there are *three* flavours of Hepburn romanization, would it
>> not
>> be better to have subtags for all of them? Otherwise people wishing
>> to tag something might mis-tag. Or?
>
> There are three current and two obsolete flavors.  However, the
> differences are trivial, in no way affect intelligibility, and no one
> has asked to distinguish them.

John. Don't be so dismissive.

Intelligibility is an ingredient which we, who have minds, add to the
soup. Language subtags can be used, for instance, to identify text and
to perform operations on it, like conversion. We have three subtags
for Cornish orthographies and will have two or three more.

My question to Frank stands, since his request was for only one
flavour of Hepburn romanization (a specifically-named flavour).