Language subtag modification form for 1694acad (Was: Flavors of Hepburn)

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 7 01:45:11 CEST 2009

Hi!

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Oct 6 05:09:55 CEST 2009

> CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

>> Actually the description field, "Early Modern French," is way too
>> vague (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Modern_France
>> for a description of what "early modern France"--and I presume as
>> well, "early modern French"--encompasses;

> I wouldn't think the concept of "early modern" French, the language,
> necessarily has anything to do with the concept of "early modern"
> France, the country.
Actually the dates for both Early Modern France and Early Modern French literature seem to be roughly the same; I checked google--and the literature that is associated with "Early Modern French" is generally literature from the Renaissance and 17th century!  A Yale bibliography (http://www.library.yale.edu/Internet/frenchbib.html) may include the 18th century as well (??--I'm not sure on this point) during which some elements of the variant encompassed by the subtag [acad1694] persisted.  (See my notes below on the dates encompassed by "Early Modern French.")
>> however I checked--the 'comments' come up with Richard Ishida's search
>> utility!

> It depends on the application.  Mine displays comments when you
> click Validate.

Thanks for this information.  Your application?  Written by ???

Is description field automatically displayed for your application?

If so, then maybe the description field is a good place to put, "as catalogued in the 1694 edition of the 'Dictionnaire de l'académie françoise'."

But so long as this information is in the comments field . . .

I think we can leave things as they are for now.

Best,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

* * *

NOTES on the dates encompassed by "Early Modern French"

I checked
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Early+Modern++French&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1

Early Modern France and Early Modern French seem to be synonynmous and include the Renaissance and the 17th century; early Modern France includes part of the 18th century as well; it's not clear that Early Modern French (literature) does however!  Yale however groups the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries together (http://www.library.yale.edu/Internet/frenchbib.html)  --of course, some of the features of Early Modern French do not disappear until sometime in the 18tth century whereas others disappear by the end of the 17th century

* http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-181463711.html

lists "Sublime Worlds: Early Modern French Literature." By EMMA GILBY. London: Le genda. 2006.
The above book deals with Pascal and other 17th century authors.

* http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Unconscious-Writing-Cambridge-Studies/dp/0521410312

Conley's book reviewed here seems to deal with Renaissance texts.

* http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-16946629/graphic-unconscious-early-modern.html

THe above article deals with Montaigne and the Renaissance

* http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-114594486.html

The above article deals with the 17th century.

--cew
* * *