Language subtag modification form for 1694acad (Was: Flavors of Hepburn)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Oct 2 14:48:53 CEST 2009

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> Actually, having a date will help to precise the variety, but thank
> you for your correction; in Canada and France, although accents are
> normalized by the end of the saweventeenth century 'oi' for 'ai'
> persists throughout the 18th century; and, at least in
> Canada/Louisiana/New France, I believe that 'oy' for 'oi' persists as
> well as 'parolle' for 'parole'--'speech' (this latter is strictly
> orthographic I think).
>
> The variety of "Early Modern French" that I described ( 'oi' for 'ai';
> the past participle ending with e and the accent aigu being spelled
> without any accent as ez, er, or e, depending; 'loing' for
> 'loin'--'far;' 'coste' for 'cote'--'side'; finally, before a 't', e
> with accent aigu may be spelled 'es' as may e with a circumflex!)
> however seems to end largely around or just before 1700.
> A quick check at atilf suggests that 'oi' continued to be used for
> 'ai' until the end of the eighteenth century actually:

This research is actually helpful to prove my point, that the various
attributes ascribed to "Early Modern French" died out at considerably
different times depending on the source, and that this language variety
is better defined by these attributes than by trying to specify strict
starting and ending dates.  I recommend no change.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­