Proposed record for 'alalc97'

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Nov 30 11:19:21 CET 2009

On 30 Nov 2009, at 04:06, Phillips, Addison wrote:

>> If this entire text is necessary, the ISBN-13 should be used
>> because ISBN-10 is obsolete.

Fine, if it will make you happy. But no copies of the book had the
ISBN-13 on them.

And ISBN-10s are simply not vanishing. See http://www.amazon.com/Ala-Lc-Romanization-Tables-Transliteration-Non-Roman/dp/0844409405
  for instance; notice that both ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 appear in the
records, and the ISBN-10 is used in the URL to find the book.

You get the same thing with new books, too. Take my 2009 edition of
Mayhew and Skeat: http://www.amazon.com/Concise-Dictionary-Middle-English/dp/1904808239/
The URL has the ISBN-10 in it, and the product details both ISBN-10
and ISBN-13. In fact as a publisher I even always put both ISBNs on my
copyright page.