Variant subtag proposal: ALA-LC romanization of Russian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Nov 24 15:05:41 CET 2009

Avram Lyon <ajlyon at ucla dot edu> wrote:

>  3. Record Requested:
>
>     Type: variant
>     Subtag: alalc97
>     Comments: Romanizations recommended by the American
> Library Association and the Library of Congress, in "ALA-LC
> Romanization
> Tables: Transliteration Schemes for Non-Roman Scripts" (1997)

I appreciate the work Avram has done to fill in this form correctly and
thoroughly.  Doing this makes Michael's and my job much easier.

Are we absolutely sure we want to limit the scope of this variant to
only the 1997 edition?  As Martin points out, we would have to exclude
explicitly all of the tables that have been updated since 1997, and as a
conscientious organization, ALA will probably continue to update their
tables as they deem necessary.  The proposed subtag requires users to be
aware of the exact date of release of the table; I don't know if
prospective users of this subtag typically would be.

In addition, subsequently added subtags for 'alalc00', 'alalc05', etc.
will not be retrieved when searching for a tag containing 'alalc97'.
This may be by design, of course, but are the differences between
revisions really expected to be so great that their subtags should be as
different as 'scouse' and 'boont'?  Avram mentioned that this approach
could result in unnecessary tag proliferation.

Note that I am not suggesting sub-subtagging, like
"ru-Latn-alalc-alalc97" versus "ru-Latn-alalc-alalc09"; I'm asking
whether the date information needs to be captured at all.  I guess to
this end I'm disagreeing with Randy that the subtag needs to be
different if "there have been any changes in the transcription scheme(s)
used by an institution," even the slightest change in a single letter.
We don't tag 1980s English differently from the English of today because
people now use words like "ginormous" and "blog" and start half their
sentences with "So, ..."

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­