Variant subtag proposal: ALA-LC romanization of Russian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Nov 18 14:37:04 CET 2009

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> Looks like we're in for another dogfight over the merits of "generic
>> variants."
>
> Not so.
>
> I would happily accept alalc97 as a generic subtag that caters for all
> of the romanization tables in the 1997 edition of the ALA-LC
> Romaniztion Tables. It is a single reference, well-defined.

That's fine with me, but there are some on this list who believe, fairly
strongly, that we should register only those subtags explicitly
requested (by others, not on our own), and that we should not register
variant subtags that apply to different languages such that the exact
meaning of the subtag differs depending on the language.

During the discussions over Japanese Hepburn, suggestions to register
additional subtags for Nihon-shiki and Kunrei-shiki, and for
romanizations of Korea, ran into the ground in part because no outside
contributor had requested them for a real-world purpose.  This does lead
us toward ad-hoc, inconsistent solutions (as we see now where the
suggested "alalc97" would have to exclude Japanese), but it is the
approach preferred by some.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­