Reminder: ISO 639-3 changes are coming

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Fri Nov 13 17:30:43 CET 2009

Hello Doug,

Thanks for this warning.

I agree with your reading of RFC 5646, but note that it does not require this exercise to be done in the least efficient manner imaginable :-).

Certainly each proposed change/addition must have its own proposed record and registration form (note that the form contains the record, so these are effectively the same thing). It does not say anywhere that the changes must be individually submitted to ietf-languages@ nor that they must all be considered separately. I would suggest that they be batched by the reviewer based upon his evaluation (e.g. separate the additions from the modifications and the records requiring additional scrutiny if such exist from the routine). I would expect most of them to be routine, assuming the proposed records were assembled according to the rules. This will be significant work for you, I dare say, since the Description fields have some requirements that are more difficult to verify.

Section 5.1 does say that forms sent to IANA must have individual emails. However, this could be coordinated so that they don't have to process each of the hundred odd emails separately... by sending them the batched records as well. It would be best to talk to them about the coordination, especially since the resulting registry should be validated for things such as inadvertent duplication of a record.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.