Last call for ISO 15924-based updates

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Mar 17 13:57:44 CET 2009

Lang Gérard <gerard dot lang at insee dot fr> wrote:

> I completely agree with your message, without any restriction.
> My point is that there is "twisting" when the decisions taken by the
> RAs that are governing the considered ISO de jure standards do not
> respect the spirit (and sometimes the history) of these standards, for
> the only sake to conform to the "supposed needs" of IETF de facto
> standards like BCP 47.

As Peter said, 'Zinh' was added for the benefit of Unicode, not for BCP
47 or any other IETF work.  It has been stated many, many times in this
thread that 'Zinh' is essentially useless for BCP 47.

So if you wish to criticize ISO 15924/RA and/or Unicode for the
existence of 'Zinh', that is up to you, but BCP 47 should not be your
target and ietf-languages should not be your venue.

http://www.ewellic.org