SPATIO-TEMPOTAL REFERENCE SYSTEMS// Geocoordinates (was: Re: Proposal to remove Preferred-Value fieldfor region YU in LTRU)

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr
Mon Mar 9 12:01:52 CET 2009

As we learnt from Albert Einstein, every information only makes good sense in relation with a spatio-temporal reference system.
If we restrict our interest within a spatio-temporal sector around the orbit of the earth, we could think that it is possible to split the spatio-temporal referentiation system in two parts between a purely temporal one (like a universally recognized calendar and the Universal [Coordinated] Time [ex-Greenwich Meridian Time, GMT]) and a purely spatial one, that we call a georeferenciation system. But this is not really the case.
In fact, we essentially have two modes for georeferenciation:
-the first one, called geo-localization,  localizes points on the surface (or near the surface) of earth, by a longitude/latitude system (in dimension 2), or with addition of an altitude referenciation system (in dimension 3). This could be considered, in first approximation,  as independant of the temporal referenciation system, but only for very short time periods (think of the perspectives with planet's warming);
-the second one, called geo-codage,  codes elements of areas (in dimension 2) or volumes (in dimension 3) on the surface or near the surface of the earth, with as much levels that precision is wanted..
Area or volume elements can be choosed as quasi-regular geometric ones, but it is often more interesting to take as first level a territorial code like ISO 3166-1 for countries or territories, completed by a code concerning Oceans ans Seas to have a total description of the surface of the earth.
 A second possible level could be a code concerning the administrative subdivisions of ISO 3166-1 entries, as given by ISO 3166-2,  and so on (by example with something like postal codes or national geographic codes (like we have for France on "official geographical code").
It is clear that, as administrative or political frontiers are not completely stable, such codages are also not time-independant. But such geo-codages are certainly most useful for many "culture-linked" applications that are both linked with history and geography.

Cordalement.
Gérard LANG