Anomaly in upcoming registry

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Mon Jun 29 17:59:23 CEST 2009

Hello All,

I do not think that there is anything requiring correction. There are
other instances of macrolanguages in ISO 639-3 that do not exist in Part 2
(much less, Part 1). See [luy] and [kln]. The deprecation of [sh] in Part
1, and the retirement of [hbs] from the predecesor of Part 2 with the
split into three individual languages were actions taken before the notion
of "macrolanguage" was in existence in the 639 standards group. The
decision to include [hbs] as a macrolanguage in Part 3 was a separate
decision, taken in 2005 and reiterated in 2007 with the adoption of ISO
639-3.

Best regards,

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
ISO639-3 at sil.org

"Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no

<ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Anomaly in upcoming registry

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

>> ... It certainly isn't patently obvious to me that this is a bug in
>> the draft-4645bis Registry that needs to be fixed.
>
> I think no one is suggesting that anything be done to draft-4645bis. I
> think re-opening 4645bis to make a change of this nature would be
> inappropriate.

No, I agree that Mark was not calling to change anything in
draft-4645bis, but rather in the "draft-4645bis Registry" -- the
Registry to be supplied to IANA by draft-4645bis, whose method of
construction is described in draft-4645bis.

My position is that the change Mark suggests may not be appropriate, and
is certainly not a <span lang="en-US">slam dunk</span>.  It depends on
our interpretation of draft-4646bis and any priorities it does or
doesn't give to ISO 639-3 over other parts of ISO 639, and it depends on
whether the relevant RA or JAC decides to correct the inconsistency in
639 by either (a) reviving "sh" in 639-1 and adding "hbs" to 639-2, or
(b) withdrawing "hbs" from 639-3.

I don't see why the philosophical discussion necessarily must wait until
the new Registry is in force, but if others want to wait, that's fine
with me.

http://www.ewellic.org