Valencian Language Tag registration request

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 18 20:56:22 CEST 2009

Hi!

I tend to agree with what John says (reprinted below); there are so few two-letter and three-letter code elements available; you have to take what you can get; you cannot expect the code to correspond with the name.

However, if Valencian turns out to have a separate literature, and Victor wants to apply for a language code such as "valencia" (8 characters, the max allowed), fine.  If that goes through, ca-valencia will be deprecated with a 'preferred-value' of 'valencia'  No problem.

However, if there is not a clear, ongoing distinct literature and/or if there is not sufficient difference between Valencian and Catalan, then I doubt Victor's request for such a code (or for any code for Valencian) will be granted.

And as I've said before, I'd personally prefer a 2-character code near the top of the list instead of something that will be hidden way down.  So I'd leave the code as 'ca' for now.

Best,

C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar at hotmail.com

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Jun 18 20:20:03 CEST 2009
 another for "gliban.", and so on
through the world's 7000+ languages.

> So that the coded entries of ISO 639 should be NAMES of LANGUAGES
> (ideally the language's autonym, that is the name given by the
> considered named language inside this considered language; so that there
> should ideally be only one language name for every entry of ISO 639,
> because this entry is exactly this name that is being coded).

So you are proposing that because Ainu (Japan) and Ainu (China), two
unrelated languages, share a name, they should also share a code?

It's time to put the "names of languages" canard to rest once and for all.
There may be a case that ISO 3166 encodes names of countries, but no
case at all for ISO 639.