Valencian Language Tag registration request

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Jun 18 18:37:27 CEST 2009

That is clearly not the interpretation that is used in ISO, nor in BCP 47.
It would be painful and not particularly useful to have a standard that
provided different codes for every possible name of every language, or used
different names for variants of the same language ("same" based on mutual
comprehensibility).

There are some places where ISO does deviate from this, and assign different
codes based on different names for variants of the same language, but those
are clearly anomalies, and are gradually being cleaned up (cf the
deprecation of "mo").

The right place for variants to be distinguished are in BCP 47, by using the
script, region, and/or variant tags. That provides the right mechanism, one
that lets software function in a reasonable fashion.

Mark