Suggestion: registration of variant subtags for Aluku, Ndyuka, andPamaka (Suriname/French Guiana English-based Creoles)

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr
Wed Jan 28 08:19:03 CET 2009

The case with NM is that ISO 3166-1 has an entry (AN, ANT, 530) for NETHERLAND ANTILLES. But this dutch territory, that groups 4 1/2 islands (Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, Saint Eustatius and the southern part of Saint Martin [whose northern part is french]) in Antiles, should soon split. So that 3 islands (Bonaire, Saba and Saint Eustatius) should directly return inside NETHERLANDS (NL, NLD, 528) and the two others part receive an autonomy status, like ARUBA (AW, ABW, 533); so that we certainly will have 2 nerw entries in ISO 3166-1 for CURACAO and the dutch part of SAINT MARTIN and must choose alpha-2 code elements to represent the country names of both territories. MN is not free, but NM is free. Some could say that "N" has no occurence in the english name "SAINT MARTIN (DUTCH PART), but this is not the case for the french name "SAINT-MARTIN (PARTIE NEERLANDAISE)" that provides an equivalent basis for representation and coding of the country name.
Cordialement.
Gérard LANG