Suggestion: registration of variant subtags for Aluku, Ndyuka, and Pamaka (Suriname/French Guiana English-based Creoles)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jan 23 08:48:22 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 08:10:59PM -0300,
 Pascal Vaillant <pascal.vaillant at guyane.univ-ag.fr> wrote
 a message of 93 lines which said:

>       Type: variant      Subtag: aluku      Description: Aluku
>       variant of the Busi Nenge Tongo Creole      Prefix: djk
>       Comments: Aluku (sometimes called Boni), dialect of the
>       "Busi Nenge Tongo" English-based Creole continuum in the
>       Eastern Suriname and Western French Guiana

Technically, the registration forms seem OK to me (I know nothing of
the Ndyuka/Aukan language so I talk only about the form), although
there is some formatting problem, it arrived in my mailbox without
end-of-lines.

I note a small problem: "djk" is not currently in the Language Subtag
Registry. Since it was introduced by ISO 639-3, it will arrive only
after the implementation of "RFC 4646 bis". The draft RFC is currently
past Working Group Last Call and should arrive at the IESG "soon" so
may be the best course of action is to discuss the proposal,
accept/revise/reject/approve it and, if approved, to wait for the new
registry before actually registering it?

Thanks for the information, BTW, I learned things with your message.