Zinh - Code for inherited script

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Feb 26 15:29:26 CET 2009

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> Here's my proposal:
>>
>> Comment: A dummy script used to label individual Unicode combining
>>         marks, which inherit their script property from the base
>>         character they are combined with.  Useless for tagging
>>         documents.
>
> For "A dummy script" read "A subtag"

Or better yet, delete it altogether and start with "Used to..."
Obviously it's a subtag.

> and omit the final sentence.

Without stating a personal preference, I believe that was the whole
point of the comment: to dissuade users from using it.

As devil's advocate, though, BCP 47 may be put to uses we haven't
thought of yet, and for some people the term "documents" does tend to
evoke thoughts of paper documents or things evolved from them, like PDF
files and texty Web pages.  While I can't imagine a BCP 47, non-UAX #24
use for this subtag, I suppose it's not impossible that one could exist.

A future revision of BCP 47 (after 4646bis, if there's room in the
world) might choose to add 'Zinh' to the section on "Choice of Language
Tag," where special considerations for using subtags like 'mul' and
'und' currently reside (not in Comments fields in the Registry).

http://www.ewellic.org