Proposal to remove Preferred-Value field for region YU in LTRU

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Feb 23 06:11:15 CET 2009

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> Four possible tracks come to mind:
>    (1) don't do the comment
>    (2) add the comment now via a registry request to ietf-languages
         at iana.org
>    (3) add the comment through ltru at ietf.org as a WG last call
         comment
>    (4) add the comment later via a registry request to ietf-languages
         at iana.org after the registry has been updated

> (2) doesn't make much sense.
>
> I can say that at least one of the ltru co-chairs would be quite ill-
> disposed towards adding an issue for (3) at this particular point in
> time, since, as a matter of consistency, it would require generating
> other comments for other registry entries. (However, if anyone wants
> to pursue such a course of action, the place to do it is on the ltru
> at ietf.org mailing list, not here.)

No action ever requires generating other comments for other entries.
Comments are always totally optional.

> Consequently, I would suggest that those who think there is good
> reason to add such comments to the registry wait until the entries
> that they think will benefit from such commentary have actually been
> updated.

If you really want to split this operation into two, one for removing
the Preferred-Value and the other for adding the comment -- despite John
Cowan's observation about sending IANA a replacement Registry which we
know we will immediately want to amend -- then I will leave out the
comment and let this group decide whether to add it after RFC 4646bis is
published.

At least we appear to have achieved consensus on removing the
Preferred-Value for 'YU'.  Four participants in favor and none opposed
(including the Reviewer, excluding Randy and me) seems fairly decisive.

http://www.ewellic.org