Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 74, Issue 1

Anthony Aristar aristar at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 22 16:11:50 CET 2009

Well, it's interesting to know the background for this set.  But it
raises a recurrent issue  for ISO standards.  More
than once in the past I've seen a standard promulgated;  yet the
explanation for the oddities of that
standard are known only to those who happen to be in a select group.
This means that standards generate
a kind of contempt from those who are outsiders.

The official term for 639-5 is, after all: "Codes for the Representation
of Names of Languages. Part 5: Alpha-3
code for language families and groups"  If what John says is true -- and
I am quite willing to believe it is -- then
this title is not merely misleading, but erroneous.  This is not, it
seems, what these codes are actually doing.

Furthermore, the idea of "vague" codes is a very useful one.  There are
indeed situations where you would
like to tag a data-set as just "North American.Indian".  But the
solution is not to produce a code-set that
is so internally confused about whether it refers to geographical
regions or linguistic ones that it is more
likely to generate derision than acceptance.

--
Anthony Aristar, Director, Institute for Language & Information Technology
Dept. of English                       aristar at linguistlist.org
Eastern Michigan University            2000 Huron River Dr, Suite 104
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
U.S.A.