Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Sun Dec 27 20:30:07 CET 2009

Den 2009-12-27 18.48, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>:

> That's the problem: not all Norwegian is tagged as either 'nb'
> or 'nn'.
This is partly because of inertia,

True.

> and partly because it really is
> useful sometimes to tag content as "Norwegian," the macrolanguage,
rather
> than specifically Bokmål or specifically Nynorsk.

IMHO, not so much.

> This is the
nature of macrolanguages.

The statement that Høgnorsk "is so unlike ordinary 'nn'" is
> an
interesting one.  Thorgeir's proposal presents Høgnorsk as simply an

orthographic variant, not a basic language difference, but the (very
brief)

Yes (reading "dialect" for "basic language"), and maybe that point should be
corrected in the proposal form.

> English-language Wikipedia article refers to it as a dialectical
variety of
> Nynorsk.  When vocabulary and grammar are involved, the
variation is no
> longer just one of orthography.

True, but that is the case for many dialects.

Anyway, I think it would be a bad idea to encourage using "no-hognorsk".
It is still permitted (since the "prefix" data is just a recommendation).
But I see no reason to use that tag. All data that get (re)tagged (assuming
that it has been determined to be/contain Høgnorsk text) to use the
'hognorsk' variant should use the tag 'nn-hognorsk', even if the original
tag (if any) was 'no'.

        /kent k