Re: Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Dec 21 05:47:34 CET 2009

Thorgeir Holm <thorgeirholm at yahoo dot no> wrote:

> A full 'hognorsk' (with o for ø, instead of deleting it) is also
> possible. It has the disadvantage of not being properly spelled, and
> is prone to a soft joke or two (for those who know the language), but
> this is maybe not very important. If non-users should be given
> priority, making it more understandable for them, maybe this full form
> is better.
>
> The abbreviated form 'hgnor' is better e.g. when it comes to making
> URLs shorter, say, nn-hgnor.wikipedia.org instead of
> nn-hognorsk.wikipedia.org
>
> Which consideration carries more weight?

I personally think making the subtag understandable is quite a bit more
important than making URLs three characters shorter.

'aasen' would be preferred only if people generally think of this as
"the Aasen orthography," which doesn't seem to be the case.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­