Retired 639-3 codes

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Dec 14 16:48:24 CET 2009

Michael(tm) Smith scripsit:

> I also see now that my thought about trying to use the ISO 639-3
> code retirement mappings list[1] to provide suggestions for the
> retired codes wouldn't work on its own anyway -- because I'd then
> also need to have some other data source to be able to map a
> suggested-replacement code element such as "eng" to its equivalent
> BCP 47 subtag.

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php provides inter
alia a mapping between 2-letter and 3-letter codes, since all languages
coded in 639-2 have the same code in 639-3.

--
John Cowan   cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The known is finite, the unknown infinite; intellectually we stand