Request: Add retired tag "eml" to the IANA registry

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 14 08:24:55 CET 2009

Hi -

Anything tagged with "eml" was tagged with an invalid tag.
Since the Wikipedia community appears to have an application where
it is useful to consider materials in either of these two languages as
though they were in the same language, then I think it would it would be
perfectly reasonable to...

> I suppose we could create a 5-letter primary language tag for this case,

However, though I tend to agree I'm wary of...

> but we don't need to: we can instantiate the 639-3 code element as a
> normal primary language subtag.  If we are not required to do this,
> we are not forbidden from doing it either.

I'm wary of this creating a situation where folks would be tempted to
treat it as some sort of precedent, in the sense of creating an obligation
to handle other cases in the same way.

If we do register the resuscitated "eml" (or its 5-letter replacement)
and 'egl' and 'rgn', and hope we don't end up with another Romanian /
Moldovan situation.

Randy