Deprecation of heploc subtag (refiling with corrected spelling)

Frank Bennett biercenator at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 01:22:07 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> Frank Bennett scripsit:
>> Assuming that the alalc97 subtag goes through, I would like to request
>> that the registration for "heploc" be amended as follows:
>
> [snip]
>
>>  4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
>> This variant subtag has been superceded by the generic subtag alalc97,
>                              ^superseded^

Quite right, I stand corrected.

###

 1. Name of requester: Frank Bennett
 2. E-mail address of requester: bennett at law.nagoya-u.ac.jp
 3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: heploc
Added: 2009-10-01
Prefix: ja-Latn-hepburn
Deprecated: 2009-12-25
Preferred-Value: ja-Latn-alalc97

 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
This variant subtag has been superseded by the generic subtag alalc97,
which is intended "to apply to text presented in the Library of Congress
romanization, widely used in English-language academic works that discuss
or employ sources that use non-Latin scripts". (quotation from the
alalc97 filing)

 5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):
"American Library Association and Library of Congress. 1997.
ALA-LC Romanization Tables: Transliteration Schemes for Non-Roman
Scripts. http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/roman.html" (from the alalc97 filing)

 6. Any other relevant information:
"This romanization is used in library bibliographic systems across the
United States and encompasses the standard scholarly transliteration
systems of many disciplines." (from the alalc97 filing)

###